I just feel sick.
As a preface I have to say that my stomach is very sensitive. I have noticed multiple times that I have had horrible reactions to certain foods while others were totally fine. I have dealt with IBS or Irritable Bowl Syndrome for multiple years now, it is not something that just goes away, it is something that I manage on a daily basis. I have seen multiple specialists and have found that as long as I am careful with what I eat and manage stress, my symptoms are much better and I feel “normal”. Otherwise, my stomach is in so much pain that I have a difficult time sleeping. That is basically how I have felt the last 5 days. My stomach was so much worse after I swapped to the fake dairy products.
Why did I even try being a vegan? I thought the dairy included in my diet that I ate on a daily basis was causing me issues. Now however, I am thinking the faux meats are the real issue. Am I upset that I tried this? Absolutely not. Will I continue to be vegan…Nope. It was a successful venture since it did open up a conversation in our house about what we were eating and how we could make better decisions. I need to be patient as I try and figure out where to go from here. I would like to take a moment to thank my husband who has been very supportive of me figuring out how I want to eat. He is the perfect example of how you can be supportive and not influence someone’s decision at the same time.
- My stomach did not agree with the alternative dairy items. I literally had a hard time sleeping.
- I felt SO tired and weak.
- I have zero energy like I am running on an empty gas tank.
- Some of the vegan or vegetarian substitutes have ingredients that are either not real food (xantham gum) or just plain dangerous like carrageenan (mostly found this in the non-dairy milks that were stored on the shelves in the grocery store rather than the cooler section). I am a huge believer in simple ingredients and avoiding anything that sounds like a chemical. I have read many articles before that the body knows how to deal with real food and if it cannot figure it out, stores it as fat.
- Try other food types and recipes = I am continuing my journey. I will be posting an update when I feel like I have discovered something that is working for me. I work out hard, I do kickboxing multiple times a week, I like to walk/jog and even have a 5k coming up soon. I need a diet that allows my stomach to not be in pain. I also need major fuel and energy to get through my day. My previous desk job life allowed me to sit for the majority of the day. Now I am running around and staying much more active. Hence why I decided that I needed to start my food journey.
- Research More = I want to not only make good choices for my diet but also humane ones as well. For example I found out that pasture raised eggs are much better for the chickens than free range. I have a feeling I will be doing an entire blog on this topic soon. For now I am linking some sources.
Just in conclusion, I really want to point out that deciding on a diet is a very personal journey. So much goes into it like religious requirements (example kosher), availability of certain stores to shop, budget allocated to food shopping, available time to cook, allergies, etc. I am sharing this on my blog since I want to inspire anyone who’s food is not benefiting them, to empower them to make a change. I encourage you to question and research ingredients. Make sure you are spending your money on items that are beneficial to your health. Please also note that verifying your health with a trusted physician is also key. I will be making an appointment with my doctor soon to check my levels of iron, B-12, magnesium and other levels with a blood test. I do want to encourage everyone to be safe in their food decisions and respect the decisions of others. This hopefully will lead to a diet that works for me. This does not mean that you should follow anything that I have figured out for myself. You are in control of your own diet and please do what is in your best interest.
Best of luck in your health journey!