Starting with essential oils can be overwhelming (and expensive if you are not careful). So I wanted to list out my top favorites to give you an idea of which ones to start with if you choose to give essential oils a try. For other tips on how to get started, check out my previous blog post = http://strongplanner.com/essential-oils-how-i-started/
I have been using essential oils for months now and wanted to give you a peek into my top 10 single oils. In order to narrow down my favorites, I am selecting ones that I tend to grab when looking to diffuse a scent in a room. I have diffusers throughout the house – dining room/kitchen area, bathroom, basement and bedroom. I also have one for the car that I use on longer trips.
I favor citrus scents since they smell clean and fresh. They remind me of a nice summer day and uplift my mood. I either diffuse the citrus scents alone or combine with an oil like cedarwood and cinnamon to balance the scent.
Side note = I often add in images to my blogs and if you wanted to see the bottles, then click on this blog on a device like an iPad/Kindle or laptop. Cell phones to save space will normally not show the images. I also post them on instagram @strongplannerblog
- All time fav = Cinnamon with blood orange! Just the thought of this makes me smile. I diffuse 2 drops of cinnamon with about 4 drops of blood orange. Cinnamon is a very strong scent so a little goes a long way.
- Morning to wake up = I like mixing Coffee with Grapefruit.
- Evening to wind down = Lavender by itself or mixed with Cedarwood.
- Bathroom or areas like basement that have a lack of windows to refresh space =
- Lemon and lime = Makes the room smell like a 7up or sprite soda!
- Spearmint and any citrus scent = Makes it smell clean and disinfected.
- Sinus issues = Peppermint and Lavender mixed are great to sooth a sinus headache.
Brands = The brands I enjoy are Simply Earth and Plant Therapy. I tend to purchase more from Plant Therapy because I think their oils have a more potent scent when diffusing. However, I think both brands have excellent customer service and great singles and blends to try. I order directly from their websites since I do not have a store near me that carries their brands. The ones that I also use in my DIY cleaning solutions I get the mega large 100ml size since I use them daily and it is more cost effective to get the larger size.
- Blood Orange = This is my all time favorite. I like this much better than Sweet Orange which is too candy sweet smelling.
- Grapefruit = This is a unique blend of sweet and tangy.
- Lemon = I have enjoyed this for diffusing and also for cleaning. This fills the area with a fresh scent that wakes you up.
- Lime = This is a lot like lemon but it gives a different twist when mixing it with a minty scent.
Earthly / Spicy Scents
- Cinnamon Leaf = I really enjoy the scent of spicy cinnamon. It is great alone or mixed with citrus. It is a very potent oil so I would limit the number of drops used to 2 or 3 for diffusing. I also use this in my cleaning solutions as a natural disinfectant (that is why I use “Leaf” instead of Cinnamon “Bark”).
- Cedarwood Atlas = I am not normally a fan of earthly types of oils. Examples like Cypress, Balsam Fir and Copaiba alone are not something I enjoy. Basically if it reminds me of being out in a wooded area, I skip it. Maybe that is why I hate camping? However the Cedarwood is not a very strong scent and it blends well with others. I selected “Atlas” instead of other Cedarwood types like Texas, Himalayan and Virginian because we add it to our shampoo for thicker hair. (For every 2 oz of fragrance free shampoo, add in 5 drops each of Cedarwood Atlas, Cypress, Lavender and Rosemary)
- Coffee = This one came in my last Simply Earth subscription box. I am so excited that I got a sample of it since it is becoming a fast favorite of mine. I love it in the morning hours either alone or mixed with grapefruit. I am trying to not use it too frequently since it is a bit more expensive than the other oils.
- Peppermint = This is still a very strong scent to my nose. I only use this for clearing out my sinuses.
- Spearmint = This is a fantastic alternative to peppermint since it is not as strong. Very fresh scent.
- Lavender = I use this in the evening to wind down. I do not have many floral scents that I enjoy since they remind me of perfumes. However, lavender is just very calming to me.
If you decide to try out essential oils, I hope you find ones that are beneficial in your life.